About Alexandria Township

Alexandria Township, New Jersey is located in scenic Hunterdon County in western New Jersey. Settled by Europeans in the early 1700s, the township was named for James Alexander who purchased 10,000 acres in this locale in 1744.  In 1765, the split from Bethlehem established the Township of Alexandria. Alexandria includes the historic villages of Everittstown, Mt. Pleasant, Little York and part of Pittstown. Measuring 28.1 square miles, the township presently has about 5,000 residents. Farming still plays an important role in the life of residents. Crop, dairy and horse farms continue to dot the countryside. 

FUN FACT: One trip around the walking trail at the park is 1.1 miles around

FUN FACT: Alexandria Township is 27.64 miles big

FUN FACT: Population is 4,938 residents

FUN FACT: Alexandria Township is named after James Alexander who purchased 10,000 acres in 1744

FUN FACT: Alexandria Township consisted of Holland Township, Frenchtown Boro, and Milford Boro before each broke off to form their own municipalities.

FUN FACT: Alexandria Twp. has the distinction of being one of the state’s first incorporated townships; it was one of 104 named by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature in 1798.

FUN FACT: Alexandria Twp. includes historic villages of Mount Pleasant, Everittstown, Little York, and part of Pittstown. Everittstown and Little York are listed on the State and national Register of Historic Places.

FUN FACT: Alexandria Township was formed by Royal Charter on March 5, 1765

FUN FACT: There are at least four places that are called Alexandria Township in the United States:

  • Alexandria Township, Kansas
  • Alexandria Township, Douglas County, Minnesota
  • Alexandria Township, New Jersey
  • Alexandria Township, North Dakota


FUN FACT: Mount Salem Church hall on Route 579 was built in 1864 as a Methodist church and is maintained by the Alexandria Township Historical Society. This Greek Revival/Italianate structure was added to the National List of Historic Places in 1988.

FUN FACT: The Everittstown Historic District was known as Everitt’s Mills in 1759. By 1816 it became known as Everittstown . In 1881 the village contained a post office, oil mill, tavern, blacksmith shop, tailor and about 25 dwellings.

FUN FACT: Before 1828, Little York Historic District was known as Pokano and two mills had been constructed on the Wissahawken Creek. In 1881, the hamlet consisted of three churches, two stores, two mills, two black smiths, a wheelwright and a tavern.