Building Department

This department performs all duties and responsibilities as required by the Uniform Construction Code, the International Construction Code, the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, and laws pursuant to the New Jersey Construction Code.  The building department follows the requirements under the DCA, and other duties as may be assigned by the Director of Planning and Engineering

When is a Permit required?

A permit is generally required if an individual wishes to construct, enlarge, alter, or demolish a structure. Included in this category are those projects which change any existing structure or add to that structure, such as the following:

  • Finished Basement
  • Deck or pool
  • Addition to a house
  • Fence, shed or garage
A construction permit is also required to do the following:
  • Rearrange plumbing system
  • Install a new water heater, furnace, or fireplace
  • Install new electrical receptacles or outlets
  • Repair or replace any structural member, such as increasing the size of a window 
The following projects are examples of ordinary repairs which do not require a permit:
  • Replace siding or roofing
  • Replacing gutters
  • Painting and trim work
  • Installing, repairing or replacing any interior finish in a one or two-family dwelling. An exception is paneling, which does require a permit 
State law mandates that the Construction Official issue a fine to any person who performs work without a permit if the construction is of a nature which requires a permit.
How do I apply for a Permit?

The required documentation for a construction permit includes:
  • Obtain Prior Approvals
  • Permit Application
  • Construction Plans
  • Plot Plan 
An Application for a Permit is available from the Construction Department, located in the Municipal Building.

Along with the completed application, the applicant must submit two copies of the Construction Plans. These drawings may be done by the applicant for his own single family dwelling or by a New Jersey licensed architect or engineer. A building contractor is not permitted to do the drawings unless he is licensed as an architect or engineer.

An applicant must also submit a Plot Plan for an addition, fence, shed, or pool. The plot plan should indicate:

  • All existing and proposed structures on the property
  • The distances to the lot lines, septic system or sewer lines, if known
  • The location of any easements
The Permit Process:

Step 1: The Township Zoning Officer completes the Zoning Review.
Step 2: After the Zoning approval, the documents are reviewed by the building, electrical, plumbing, and fire sub code officials for completeness and code conformance. This process may take up to twenty working days.
Step 3: The required documents are submitted to the Construction Department, with all required prior approvals from State/County/Local agencies. 
Step 4: The permit is issued indicating that legal approval has been given to begin the construction project.

If the documents do not comply with the Uniform Construction Code, the applicant will be notified of the code violations required to be corrected and resubmit the documents for further review.

Inspections During Construction:

New construction usually requires the following inspections:

  • Footing excavation prior to pouring concrete
  • Foundation wall prior to backfilling with Engineered location survey
  • Rough plumbing, electrical & fire prior to installing insulation
  • Rough framing prior to installing insulation with completed Framing Checklist
  • Insulation prior to installing sheet rock
  • Final inspections prior to occupancy 
Obligations During Construction:

  • Inspectors must have 24 hours advance notice and must be able to see the part of construction required to be inspected
  • Applicants are required to post the permit prominently on the site and to keep a copy of the approved plans at the site
  • Any work which does not conform to the approved plans will require reinspection, and in some cases amended drawings & permits. If the work continues without resolving the problem, the applicant will be fined and the job stopped
  • When the project is completed, the applicant must call for final building, electrical, plumbing, and fire inspections
  • The applicant must also apply for a certificate of occupancy. If the work is approved, a certificate will be issued indicating permission to use the area for the intended purpose
Applications for permits can be found at the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, Division of Codes and Standards-click here

When submitting these forms to the Construction Code Enforcement Office, you must provide THREE completed copies with original signature and original seal ( where necessary ) for each subcode technical form.


Construction Records Clearance-Are you selling your home?


On April 8, 2009, an ordinance was passed requiring a CONSTRUCTION RECORDS CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE (CRC) be obtained. This certificate is required on the sale of all residential and commercial properties. The application should be filed by the seller or the seller’s agent. 

The purpose of the CRC is to ensure that all permits obtained through the building department for a particular Block and Lot have been inspected and closed by the appropriate Sub-code (inspector). 

An application for a CRC can be obtained through the Building Department located at 242 Little York-Mt. Pleasant Road, Milford, NJ or by calling Marianna Voorhees at (908) 996-7071 ext. 211. The cost of the application is $50.00 payable to Alexandria Township. 

The application for a CRC should be submitted at least 30 business days prior to the closing date. 

A Smoke Detector Certification is also required prior to selling your home. You can contact our Fire Marshall, Mike Gianonne at 908-612-3592 to schedule an appointment.



Important Building Permit Changes Effective March 5, 2018

Effective immediately the following changes have been made by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs in relation to building permits. The following permits are no longer required as of March 5, 2018:

  1. Roof Replacement to a one and two family detached home;

  2. Siding replacement for a one and two family dwelling except replacement with polypropylene siding material;

  3. Installation of insulation: Fiberglass or cellulose only. Spray foam requires a permit;

  4. The replacement of plumbing fixtures-like for like with no piping changes;

  5. Installation of a burglar/security system in a one and two family dwelling;

  6. Electric permit for the installation of a plug-in landscape irrigation system under 30 volts at a one and two family dwelling;

  7. Sheds 200 sq. ft. or less and 10 feet or less in height. No gas, water, oil, or sewer connections. Electric permit is required, if installing electric. Zoning permit is still required.

Important Information for Home Owners and Contractors

A Note to Homeowners and Contractors All general contractors and sub-contractors require a state license as of January 1, 2006. Building Permits are required for most types of construction. If you are planning major construction or just general repairs, please contact the Construction Department about permit requirements. Dealing with Contractors If you have been satisfied with work done by local contractors, try them first. If they cannot help you, ask them for recommendations. If you must hire a contractor you do not know, talk to several contractors before you sign anything. Reputable contractors agree that you should take the following steps:

Check on the firm's reputation The Better Business Bureau (609) 588-0808, Home Builders Association, or building trades council are excellent sources. Ask if the firm has had unanswered complaints filed against it. Look out for “special deals” Be cautious when unfamiliar contractors offer “special deals” after a disaster or want to use your home as a “model home.” Ask for complete financial details in writing and for an explanation of any differences from regular prices. Sales are worthwhile and they do exist, but be sure you are getting the services and products you are paying for. Ask for proof of insurance Worker’s compensation and general liability insurance are absolutely essential. If the contractor is not insured, you may be liable for accidents on your property. Ask for references Contractors should be willing to provide names of previous customers. Call some of the customers and ask if they would hire the contractor again. Ask for written estimate Check it for thoroughness. Some contractors may charge a fee for an estimate, which is understandable when they have plenty of work to do. Ask for a contract The contract should be complete and clearly state all the work and the costs. Never sign a blank contract or one with blank spaces. If a lot of money is involved, it may be worth your while to have the contract reviewed by a lawyer. Ask for any guarantees in writing If the contractor provides guarantees, the written statement should include what is guaranteed, who is responsible for the guarantee (the dealer, the contractor, or the manufacturer), what is covered beyond the written guarantee, and its duration. Obtain a copy of the final signed contract Once signed, it is binding on both you and the contractor. Cool off Do not sign a contract when a salesperson has pressured you. Federal law requires a three-day “cooling off” period for unsolicited door-to-door sales of more than $25. If you want to cancel such a contract within three business days of signing it, send your cancellation by registered mail. Other types of sales may have contracts with varying decision clauses. Avoid cash payments Beware if you are asked to pay cash on the spot instead of a check made out to the contracting company. A reasonable down payment is 10%-30% of the total cost of the project. Don't sign off before the job is finished Don’t sign completion papers or make the final payment until the work is completed to your satisfaction. A reputable contractor will not threaten you or pressure you to sign if the job is not finished. Get your permits Most home improvements, fences, and other yard work require a permit from the Construction Office. A permit is needed before the project is started to be sure that it meets code and prior approvals have been obtained. Get your inspections The Construction Dept. of Alexandria Twp. (908-996-7071 ext. 211) performs inspections on Tuesday & Thursdays from 3-7 PM. Get help If you are a victim of fraud or have problems with a less than reputable contractor, the Office of Consumer Protection (973-504-6200) has a consumer protection officer who can tell you what steps to take.